The History of Kingswood School
Kingswood: A Place of Beauty and History
When Kingswood opened in 1748, it was designed for the children of John Wesley’s friends, both boys and girls. However, it was only a small school catering for about fifty children, so it was soon restricted to boys only and these were initially the sons of Methodist preachers and leaders. The school gradually increased in size until it outgrew its original site in Bristol and moved to its present wonderful location in Bath in 1852. From 1795 to the 1920s it was a school entirely for the sons of Methodists ministers; it then recommenced taking boys from other families and, in 1974, taking girls again – hence our recognition of ‘change and continuity’.
After its move to Bath, Kingswood was recognised as one of Britain’s great schools and many educational institutions around the world were founded on its principles. Today, through the International Association of Methodist Schools, Colleges, and Universities, Kingswood is linked to many places around the world that are at the forefront of education.